Thursday, December 13, 2007

MORE ALTERNATIVE CHRISTMAS SHOPPING

While I was looking at the website of the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana in order to put the volunteer form into Deacon Burnell Esbenshade's article for Markings about a possible Mission Trip, I found another alternative gift-giving opportunity, Bundles of Hope. You can make a donation to the diocese of Louisiana for its work in helping people recover from Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. You can print out a certificate to give to the person in whose honor you are buying the bundle. There are several levels of gift available. The link for it is here.

I must say that I also like giving hand made gifts, if not made by me by others, so I seek out art and craft shows all year long. There is a delightful studio show at Nori Obata and Steb Prieto's studio on the overpass of Big Bend where you can buy porcelain, photos, crocheted objects, (by Nori's brother Gen) small rugs, hand made books, glassware blown right there in the studio and fabulous jewelry. Gen and Nori exhibited at our (now defunct) art fair Heart and Hands and Voices. Here is a link to Gen's blog. You can find the details of open studio as well as directions there. And while I am doing commercials, many of my nearest and dearest are getting chocolate products from Kakao, hand-made gourmet chocolates with the finest organic ingredients. My favorite is the Missouri Pecan Clusters with dark chocolate, followed closely by the dark chocolate coated caramels.

Maybe people will comment on this entry and say their favorite places to shop and/or causes to support for Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm giving to Soldiers Angels for their Project Valour-IT program which has provided more than 1600 voice-activated laptops to veterans with severe hand injuries and other tramas.

http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?page=valour-it-donations

Click on the "History of Valour-IT for more information