Tuesday, April 05, 2005

First post

Having spent the afternoon saying to my friend Emily that I have no idea what makes people want to blog, I am starting a blog. I asked her, "Why would anyone want to do this? What would I write about that anyone would want to read? How would I manage to post to it without feeling either exhibitionistic or self-absorbed?"

Having recently passed the half-century mark, I worry that I may be too old to be a blogger. But I also love to try new things and I love the idea of the ways in which the internet makes it possible for people to communicate with each other and connect with each other. So this blog will be about my life as the rector of St Mark's Church in Saint Louis. It will contain some thoughts, some reflections, some news, some photos and some updates.

The title I chose comes from the ancient Nicene Creed in which believers express our trust in God as the creator of all that is, "things seen and unseen." But it is primarily a tribute to one of my favorite books about being a person of faith in the Episcopal tradition, Things Seen and Unseen: A Year Lived in Faith by Norah Gallagher.

1 comment:

Lydia Agnew Speller said...

I know I will never be gender neutral enough for my, um, offspring. But I'm glad you remind me all the time.